Sunday, April 14, 2019

The Authenticity of Bones and Waves




I haven't written here since 2017. I find this a bit staggering to say the least. (I write constantly, just haven't posted here, mind you) Disquieting how the days become weeks and then months and suddenly you have young men rather than boys and there is this mesh of delicate lines woven into the skin on the back of your hands that implies a fragility I don't yet feel.

I've recently returned from visiting my husband who is finishing a project on Nantucket. I went for a time last autumn and came home with pounds of shells collected from still-warm sand, whole and smooth like pregnant eggs spilled from the sea. This time winter hung low, close to the ground; a presence that changed the colors of the sky and the smell of the mist when the sun had fled the day. The sand was cold and the wind had teeth.

The shells I found now were nothing like the fruit of late October. The beach is littered with just shards of shells, fragments of a whole worn like seaglass into such beauty it took my breath away. I collected piles of them, washed and scraped and then laid them out to dry on the kitchen counter, an ocean boneyard. I marveled. I dreamt of them, drifting lazily beneath the surface of the water as the waves crashed overhead and the skeletal shells danced like drunken moths.

They're my favorites now, these calcified remnants; having tumbled through the storms and worn away the surface to reveal the swirl and sweep of the loveliness inside. I find this a disconcerting parallel - how we spend so much energy preening and polishing our exterior only to have the hurricanes of time and the sands of age wear off the brittle edges, peel back the flesh, and expose the majesty that is the unadorned soul. Beauty has become a misled quest for a particular color of paint, when what is truly of value lies there, inside the tendons and cartilage, the marrow of us.

I've now begun dreaming of the sea almost daily. I'm sketching and thinking of creating a small group of paintings inspired by these shells. I think I will call it The Bones of the Sea.


11 comments:

Robbie Grey said...

Oh, how I delight to read your words...

Chantel said...

Robbie - It's been a while, eh? My goodness, how fast the world is spinning...

K said...

wonderous

Chantel said...

K - Thank you!

Lisa Southard said...

Welcome back! And with beautiful beach words too :-)

Chantel said...

Lisa - My goodness, it's good to be back & thank you so! I think I will endeavor to stay a bit. :)

Peter parker said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jhon martu said...

Are you revolving around the Binance two-factor authentication functionality trouble in your Binance account? If it is impossible for you to eradicate this error on your own, you can always take help from the team who is there to guide you. To deal with such errors, you can always call on Binance support number which is functional and the team is ready to assist you at every step. Therefore, contact Binance Customer Service Number with the team anytime for providing quality results which are easy to execute. Whenever you are in trouble, you can reach them anytime for availing desired results completely which are cost-free.

jhon martu said...

Are you facing errors at the time of ? If you are stuck in these errors which are time consuming and on an average, it takes a few days to get verified. If you are open for solutions from the professionals , you can call on binance customer care number which is always functional and the team is ready to support you. Whenever you are in fix, you can always have Binance Customer Service Number conversation with the professionals who are always at your service and avail stepwise remedies from the team in no time.

jhon raskal said...

Having trouble in finding out the transaction data provided on the MyEtherWallet ? If you want to extract transaction details of all your transactions and you are looking for guidance, you can always call on MyEtherWallet customer service number which is always active and the team is ready to guide you. To get in touch with the team at any time, you can always avail remedies MyEtherWallet Customer Service Number that could be helpful in dealing with all troubles. You can connect with them and extract solutions from the skilled professionals.

NdakJoleh said...

I simply want to tell you that I am new to weblog and definitely liked this blog site. Very likely I’m going to bookmark your blog . You absolutely have wonderful stories. Cheers for sharing with us your blog.
cetak buku umroh haji
cetak buku umroh
cetak buku umroh haji
cetak buku umroh
cetak buku umroh
cetak buku panduan umroh
cetak buku murah cepat
cetak buku umroh haji
cetak buku umroh